Many people want younger-looking skin, but what does that mean, exactly? Collagen, the protein that our cells produce that gives the skin elasticity and firmness, regenerates itself quickly when we’re young. As we get older, our production of collagen slows (or is damaged by too much sun exposure or other bad habits). This, as well as excess buildup of dead skin, causes wrinkles and sagging skin.
The good new is that there are steps you can take to preserve your skin’s collagen and remove dead, dull skin.
- First, and most importantly: protect your skin from the sun. UVA rays penetrate the skin and damage collagen. Wear a broad-spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen at a minimum every time you’re out in the sun, even if it’s cloudy outside and during the winter.
- Exfoliation is a good way to get rid of the top layer of dead cells that your skin has a harder time shedding itself as you get older. This can make the skin look dry and dull, so removing the layer gives you a healthy glow. It also allows skincare products to penetrate more deeply.
- Retinol creams reduce the natural breakdown of collagen and even help your skin increase its collagen production. A good choice is Ossential Advanced Radical Night Repair. We like this because it has a full 1% concentration of retinol that stimulates the skin for faster and more effective repairs
- A customized facial starts with a consultation to determine your skin’s needs. Then you’ll receive an individualized treatment that usually includes a deep cleaning, exfoliation, massage, and moisturization that fits your skin type.
- For a chemical peel, a topical solution is applied that causes damaged skin cells to peel off, revealing younger-looking skin below. This is an especially good choice to reduce the appearance of acne scars, sun damage, and wrinkles.
- Microdermabrasion: This exfoliation treatment goes deeper than the norm to get rid of all skin debris. It reduces look of blemishes, wrinkles, unwanted pigmentation, and other imperfections.
- SkinPen: This is the treatment that we’re really excited about. Remember how the production of collagen gets less as we age? The SkinPen can stimulate your skin so it produces new collagen and elastin. That means it treats aging skin right at the source, and the results can be pretty dramatic.
SkinPen is minimally invasive and only available through skin care professionals. In Madison County, we’re the only ones that offer the service. Stop by to check it out if you’re curious, or you can drop by our Skin Rejuvenation Night on June 25th.
Cosmetic and Dermal Fillers
Injectable substances like Botox and Restylane last a long time and can have a dramatic effect on fine lines, creases, and wrinkles. You’ll have a consultation first to determine whether you’re a good candidate with our in-house specialist Dr. Chris Lowery.
These treatments generally take less than 30 minutes, and you can go right back to your normal routine with no recovery time. In fact, many people even choose to do these treatments over their lunch break!
At the Clipzone Salon and Spa, we offer a wide range of facial treatments as well as injectable services with a board certified plastic surgeon. Call today to book your appointment!